Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Salzburg

(Click on any photo to make it larger.)

So last July, I left the good old US of A for some backwards-ass, commie-loving, Old World adventures. After a brief stop in the UK, I flew to Salzburg, Austria. At this point, I hadn't seen Lea in over a month, and I was real happy when she showed up at the airport.



Lea showed me around Salzburg a bit. That's what it looks like (more or less).



Salzburg is situated on the edge of the Alps. This region is really beautiful. It's also where they filmed the Sound of Music, which, incidentally, almost no Austrians have actually seen.



One funny thing about Austria is that they really don't like to put many words on signs. They prefer to use pictograms, some of which can be really funny (and/or confusing). I always think that this picture of the man walking looks like a guy from Monty Python's Ministry of Silly Walks. By the way, this sign is telling you that you can't walk anymore (starting in 50 meters). They're a bit obsessed with order, cautions, and pictograms.



This is where Mozart was born. When I arrived here, it was Mozart's 250th birthday (or something like that). Everywhere I went, it was "Mozart this", "Mozart that", "Mozart slept here", "Mozart peed here", etc. I'm really glad that the Mozart year is over.



Here's another view of the stunning fortress in the middle of Salzburg.



Salzburg isn't huge, and there's not a lot of partying going on, but it's really quite a beautiful and interesting city.

Up next...
Vienna!

No comments: